If you want to sell your home before Christmas, there is still time – just!
Prospective home-sellers will need to have their property on the market by Wednesday 20th October in order to sell their home before Christmas, according to a new study.
Data from find-an-estate-agent website estateagent4me offers insight into the time it takes to sell a residential property. Over the past six years, homes listed in October have taken an average of 64 days to sell. This means that homeowners who want a sale agreed this side of Christmas should be looking to list their house for sale by Wednesday 20th October at the latest.
Despite the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, the average length of time to sell a property has remained relatively constant over the past 6 years. Overall the speed of sale was slower in 2020 because of the shutdown caused by the pandemic but activity picked up quickly once the housing market reopened and the government announced a stamp duty holiday. Even with the ending of the stamp duty holiday, there are lots of buyers
Here are 5 top tips for selling before Christmas:
1. Appoint a great estate agent. Ask family, friends, and neighbours – it’s always good to have a personal recommendation. If that’s not possible, estateagent4me, lists the best-performing agents in your postcode.
2. Set up your solicitor. Instruct a conveyancing solicitor early and start pulling paperwork together now if you want to secure a quick sale.
3. Get your house ready for sale. If there are any issues that might come up in a survey and delay the move, consider fixing them now. And as the winter months approach, make sure your home doesn’t look too dark – it is vital to let in light with lamps, candles, and mirrors.
4. Let your agent take the lead – let your estate agent take the lead at viewings and tackle any tricky questions. And let them advise on negotiations; going to sealed bids to secure the best price is a popular option in today’s sellers’ market.
5. Choose the right buyer – everyone wants to get the best price, but if you want to sell quickly as well then opt for a chain-free buyer who isn’t relying on selling their home to buy yours.
If you’d like to discover the value of your home before going to market, try our free online instant valuation tool today, or discover why you should sell with NEXA by contacting our friendly team today!